On Saturday, March 20, 2010 I’m going to start walking from mile marker 100 in Key Largo and over the next 8 days, walk to mile marker 0 in Key West.
Along the way I’ll be meeting people, taking pictures, and soaking up the Florida Keys in a way I never could from a car. I’ll upload pictures each night and post about my day in this blog.
Here are the answers to some questions I’ve been asked.
- 100 miles in 8 days means I need to walk 12.5 miles per day. I’ve been walking quite a lot the last month to make sure I can do that. I think I’m ready. Here is a Google map with destinations marked to illustrate the pace I need to maintain.
- My lovely wife, Dianne, will be my support crew and she will be in the Keys that week having her own vacation. She’s in charge of lodging and it will be her job to pick me up at the end of the day and take me back to where I stopped the next morning.
- I’m not doing this for charity or as part of a cause and I’ll be walking alone. Dianne may join me for bits here and there, but this is mostly my adventure.
- I am doing this because it seems like a fun vacation with lots of things going for it. I want to experience the Keys in a way that can’t be done in a car driving through, and this is my chance.
- I’ll be walking along the Overseas Highway, a road we’ve driven many times. Yes, there are lot of bridges and one of them is the famous 7 Mile Bridge. Pedestrian traffic is permitted the whole distance (I checked).
- Where it exists, I will follow the Heritage Trail. Elsewhere, there are sidewalks and bike paths.
- Yes, I’ll take lots of pictures. Check back here every day!
I painted a couple shirts especially for this trip. Island style!